Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter-Due by 8:00p.m.

Complete the letter below:
PROMPT
At this point in your reading, you probably have some opinion about Hester's guilt, her punishment, and whether or not she should be allowed to keep Pearl.
Your assignment is to write a letter to Governor Bellingham regarding your opinion about what he should do about Hester.
PREWRITING
If you have some difficulty forming an opinion, consider some of these issues: Should she keep or give up Pearl? Was making her wear the letter "A" a fair punishment? What punishment would you have thought appropriate for Hester, if any?
You must use at least two pieces of textual support from different chapters. You are only answering one of the above questions, or addressing another topic that is embedded in the text but not in the prompt.
DRAFTING
One way to structure your letter would be to make an introductory paragraph
introducing yourself as a concerned citizen of Boston and stating your point. Follow that with a few paragraphs(at least 2) giving reasons for your point. (Each reason would be a topic sentence.) Fill in the paragraphs with examples supporting your reasons(using two pieces of textual support as mentioned above). Make a concluding paragraph thanking the governor for his time and his consideration of your opinions.

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Governer Bellingham,

    I am a concerned citizen of Boston, and I am writing you this letter to give you my point of view or my opinion on the situation regarding Hester Prynne. Mrs. Prynne has recently been condemned of adultery and has been walking with The Scarlet Letter "A". Now Governor dont get me wrong, I dont condone her sin of committing adultery, but i also dont condone her punishment of wearing The Scarlet Letter,and being banished to the outskirts of town. No one in this world is perfect!, we all as people have our faults christians or not.Is there anyone who is without sin?. She doesnt deserve to be ridiculed in front of the whole Puritan community.

    I am disturbed at the fact that we call this place "Eutopia". Eutopia was known as the perfect place, but Mr. Governer if this is a perfect place why is there a prison here?. A prison is a place for people that have committed a crime, but wont anyone here commit a crime here since this is a perfect place right?. So is this really Eutopia or it what this community destined to be, just a name because wwe are christians?. Mrs. Prynne has a baby girl, a baby girl that will one day grow up to be a woman, and i beg you do not take her only child , her happiness away from her!. and Governer i believe you need to question your part in this community as a "christain'man.

    Sincerely , Kenneth

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted the assignment on my blog Ms.Fletcher....its not to good but i tried my best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Governor Bellingham,

    I as a Boston citizen, on the regards to Hester Prynne feel the punishment she is receiving is unnecessary. The consequences for adultery outrageous. Not letting her keep her daughter Pearl is not the courts choice.

    Hester is a woman of mistakes which people make everyday. She stated that she will teach Pearl the way of a lady, and if you do not give her a chance you will never know. Pearl needs a mother who is there for her constantly and teach the right things no matter how bad Hester's past was. If you take Pearl away from Hester a stereotype. I say that, just because of Hester's mistakes does not mean she will past them down to her daughter.

    Governor Bellingham I would like to thank you for your time. I hope you agree with my opinions and make the right decisions of letting Hester keep her daughter.

    Sincerely, Christian Sanker

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Governor Bellingham,

    I'm a citizen of Boston, concerned about the consequences for Hester Prynne. I believe her punishment for committing adultery is far absurd, you should let her keep Pearl because taking her isn't proving anything. Everyone makes mistakes in life Mr. Bellingham, and for you to be governor, I expect you to understand and give Hester an agreeable outgrowth such as banning her from this community.

    Boston, a pure community, whatever Utopia of human virtue and happiness we might originally project(33); Hester isn't suitable to live in this resource we call Utopia. She does not have the capability to continue living in this town if she goes against the rules committing sins, and you keeping her in this community is making Utopia become Hell. I'm just asking for you to let Hester keep and raise her daughter Pearl because she loves her dearly even though she was a sin, Nevertheless exclude them from our community.

    I believe this is the best decision for you to make Mr. Bellingham, Hester will soon realize her guilt and fault once she's no longer living here in Boston. Hopefully, she may pray for forgiveness and us Puritans should forgive her as well and continue on with her life with her daughter Pearl. I thank you for reading and understanding where this is going Mr. Bellingham.

    Sincerely, Nick M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Governer Bellingham,

    I am Alfrado, citizen of Boston and a proud Puritan. I am writing this letter to give my perspective on the punishment Hester Prynne is recieving for committing adultery, also i want to give you my opinion on what my punishment would be for her.

    I fully understand the severity of adultery in a christian community. It is forbidden!, and a sin. As a human being i kno that no one in this world is perfect, there is not one person here without sin. Because i believe that i believe that Hesters punishment is not at all necessary. She does not deserve to be treated unfairly just because she has done something wrong. Treating her differently is not the ways of God.

    I wouldnt punish her , i would forgive her just like God would forgive me for my sins. True christians dont condemn or put down one another they Love and comfort.

    Sincerely Alfrado

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Governer Bellingham,

    As a citizen of Boston and a Purtain man I am concerned for Hester Prynne, the adultery. I believe her punishment is fair enough, taking her baby Pearl would just be harsh. I understand she commented an sin and made an huge mistake but taking ones baby shouldnt be the choices of others but only the mother her self.

    Even though Ms.Prynne sinned and Committed adultery but taking Pearl from her isn't the best choice. Think Mr.Bellingham how does that really help and what does it accomplish? I believe that her making the scarlet letter is enough of an punishment dont let the child suffer as well.

    Sincerely, Kailin Carter

    ReplyDelete